Top 5 things to do in Delhi
There are a number of events that have helped Delhi evolve as a major tourist destination – none bigger than the Commonwealth Games in 2010 and the Cricket World Cup in 2011. These two years changed the landscape of India’s capital city; with renovations of the capital’s heritage buildings and a huge expenditure on infrastructure making Delhi shine bright, for the most part.
Here are GuideTrip’s 5 great things to do in India’s capital.
1. Visit Shahjanabad – visit Delhi’s sixth city by hiring a cycle rickshaw. Apart from the Red Fort and Jama Masjid take some time and get lost in Old Delhi’s alleyways. End your day with a classic non vegetarian meal fit for a royal household literally at Karim’s. Click here to know more.
2. Humayun’s Tomb was the first ever garden tomb in India and was built with the purpose of reminding the Mughals of the coolness of their homeland in Samarkhand, Uzbekistan. It is also one of two monuments that inspired the building of the Taj Mahal in Agra a hundred years later. Click here to know more.
3. Have a home cooked meal in an Indian household – Indians are known for their hospitality and lavish spreads when they entertain friends and family members. Click here to know more.
4. Go for an authentic Sufi night of music and dance at the memorial built for Nizamuddin Auliya, one of moderate Islam’s holiest tombs. Click here to know more.
5. Lose yourself in the peacefulness that surrounds the Mehrauli Archaeological Park – spread over two square kilometres the complex houses a step well, tombs and residential complexes from the 11th century AD till the 18th century AD. The best part – it’s not on the mainstream tourist circuit so the aura is such that you have an entire city to yourself. This is also a great place for photography enthusiasts. Click here to know more.